Adriatic LNG Receiving TerminalConsultant, Analysis and Design for an Offshore Liquefied Natural Gas Storage Facility in Northern Italy
Consultant, Analysis and Design of LNG Storage Facility including Service, Seismic and Extreme Loads
Northern Italy (Adriatic)
SC Solutions was part of the design team for an offshore liquefied natural gas (LNG) storage facility in the North Adriatic Sea, approximately 10 miles off the North coast of Italy. The storage facility consisted of the Gravity Based Structure (GBS) housing twin LNG storage tanks with a capacity of 155,000 cubic meters each. This unique LNG containment system was developed with engineering support from SC Solutions and patented by ExxonMobil.
SC Solutions was engaged in the project from conceptual design to final design and construction support. Our main responsibilities included:
- Design criteria development
- LNG storage tank service load design and optimization
- LNG storage tank and GBS interface evaluation
- Cooldown evaluation and LNG spill evaluation
- Thermal shock analysis of LNG spill onto secondary concrete containment structure
- Seismic design and analyses, which consisted of the following:
- Sloshing Evaluation
- Fluid-Structure Interaction Analysis
- Soil-Structure Interaction Methodology Development and Implementation
SC Solutions’ expertise in these areas provided key support for the development of a unique and patented system for storing liquefied natural gas.